- 300g (10.5oz) of macaroni
- 2 (≈ 200g or 7oz) tomatoes
- 1 (≈ 200g or 7oz) orange bell pepper
- 1 (≈ 300g or 10.5oz) head of broccoli
- 1/4 (≈ 50g or 2oz) of a red onion
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 1 microwave-safe bowl w/ cover
- 1 pot
- 1.5L (1/3gal) water
- 1 strainer
- 1 spoon
- 1 microwave oven
- 1 burner
- 1. Fill the pot with water and heat it on the burner until it boils.
- 2. Using the knife and cutting board, cut the broccoli—stalk and all—into bite-size pieces.
- 3. Place the broccoli into the bowl, cover it, and microwave until steamed. If the broccoli is not wet from washing, you may need to add a few mL of water into the bowl.
- 4. Add the macaroni to the boiling water; boil for about 10 minutes or until the desired tenderness is reached.
- 5. Dice the tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion.
- 6. When the macaroni is done, carefully drain the water using the strainer.
- 7. Stir all of the other ingredients into the macaroni. Serve hot or cold.
You can expect ≈1.5kg of Rainbow Macaroni.
- Try adding herbs and spices to modify the flavor.
- For more calories per serving, use more macaroni or consider finishing the dish with a healthy fat (such as butter).
- For eaters who don't like onions, try briefly sauteing them and thus weakening their pungency.
- For eaters who still won't touch the vegetables or who need more calcium, consider adding a small amount of grated cheese to the tops of their servings.